Motorcycle Life and Culture
MOTORCYCLE LIFE AND CULTURE
Annual Meeting of the Popular Culture and American Culture Associations, Southwest/Texas Region (Joint Conference with National PCA/ACA)
Albuquerque, NM February 8-11, 2012
The SW/TX Popular Culture and American Culture Associations are inviting papers on motorcycling and its impact on American society, other societies and cultures.
Suggested topics include:
* Riders' narratives or descriptions of the ride
* The motorcycle as art, poetry, or agency
* Rituals, norms, customs, or influences in motorcycle culture
* The biker as subaltern or as "other"
* Movies, films, or other images of motorcyclists
* Analyses of media, consumer capitalist, corporate, or other power structures in relation to motorcycling culture or popular myth
* Biographical analyses of noteworthy motorcyclists and their influence upon myth, culture, or cultural capital
* Racial, ethnic, gendered, class, or demographic aspects of motorcycling culture
* Other literary, anthropological, geographical, historical, sociological, or psychological perspectives of motorcycling culture
Please respond with a biographical statement and an abstract of 150 words by December 1, 2011. Graduate student submissions are welcome. Since responders may be assigned to presentations, completed papers should also be sent to the Chair for review not later than January Dec 31, 2012.