"Literature at Sea: Maritime Literary Currents," 3-8 December 2016, deadline 15 June 2016
CFP: "Literature at Sea: Maritime Literary Currents"
Mobile, AL, USA, 3-8 December 2016
Abstracts are invited for a conference on literature and the sea, broadly defined. Proposed papers may focus on the literature of any country and any literary period, but please keep in mind that the conference language will be English. Topics might include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Literature of or about the sea
- Metaphorical seas
- Mexico and the sea
- Mythology and the sea
- Sublimity and the sea
- Transatlantic/transpacific confluences
- Oceania and island culture
- Caribbean authors and the sea
- International trade
- Environmental literature and the sea
- Aquatic life and literature
- Seascapes in literature
- Recreation and the sea
- Ships and shipping
- War and other conflict
- Visual art
- Travel writing
- Sea monsters
- Shipwrecks and survival
Please visit https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=litsea2016 to submit a 250-word abstract and ONE-page biographical note or CV by 15 June 2016. You will need to create an EasyChair account to submit your materials (linked at the aforementioned URL). Questions about the conference may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The conference web site is available at http://spectrum.troy.edu/conference.
This conference is scheduled to take place aboard the M. S. Carnival Fantasy, which will be sailing from Mobile, Alabama, USA, 3-8 December 2016, with stops in Mexico at the ports of Progreso and Cozumel. When possible, presentation times will be arranged so as not to conflict with port visits.
Because of the logistics involved in securing the conference venue and lower prices, we will make decisions on submissions by 15 July 2016.
We hope to produce a conference-proceedings volume in 2017.
Cruise details and other logistics (current as of 10 March 2016):
- To guarantee the conference rate for the cruise, delegates must book their cabins directly with Katona Weddle, email@example.com, Tel. +00-1-334-514-2031. Ms. Weddle is happy to book other travel arrangements for delegates if desired.
- More information about the cruise is available here: http://tinyurl.com/jquu3bu
- Delegates selected to participate in the conference will need to place deposits (USD $150) to reserve cabins before 1 August 2016. The deposit counts as part of the cruise price. The remainder of the cost will be due 1 October 2016.
- Cabin prices (class 4B, interior) start at $356.67 per person, including taxes and port charges, for the duration of the cruise with two people per cabin. The rate amounts to about $72 per night, which also includes all meals (but not tips or beverages). Oceanview cabins (class 6B, exterior) are available for $396.67 per person at double occupancy.
- The conference organizers will offer delegates the opportunity to pair with other delegates to obtain the rate listed above by sharing cabins (please indicate your preference at the time you place your deposit). Otherwise, single-cabin occupants pay $713.34 for the cruise to secure private interior cabins ($793.34 for oceanview). Alternatively, delegates may wish to share cabins with friends or relatives—who are welcome to join us aboard (also to be booked with Ms. Weddle) regardless of whether they participate in the conference. Some cabins can hold third and fourth passengers.
- The price does not include the conference fee ($50), transportation to the port of Mobile, optional hotel stays before or after the cruise, optional travel insurance, parking fees at the port, gratuities, soft drinks or alcoholic beverages, or optional port excursions in Mexico.
- Ship-board gratuities may be paid in advance ($60 per person) at the time of booking.
- Coffee, tea, and water are complimentary aboard the ship. For guests who do not wish to pay for each individual soft drink or alcoholic drink, beverage packages may be purchased in advance at the time of booking or aboard the ship.
- For directions to the Mobile port, as well as other information such as parking fees at the port, please check the web site at http://www.shipmobile.com/
- The Mobile Regional Airport (airport code: MOB) is the closest airport (at a direct distance of approximately 15 miles or 24 kilometers from the cruise terminal) with regular direct flights to Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Houston. American Airlines (http://www.aa.com), Delta Airlines (http://www.delta.com), and United Airlines (http://www.united.com) serve the Mobile airport. See http://www.mobairport.com/ for more airport information.