The College English Association, a gathering of scholar-teachers in English studies, welcomes proposals for presentations for our 48th annual conference. The conference will be held in Hilton Head, South Carolina from March 30 to April 1, 2017.
The 2017 theme is "Islands" and CEA invites papers and panels that address the idea of the island. How are islands in literature and film, as in life, places of desperate refuge and welcome escape? What respites do they provide? Are islands imagined utopias, or do they offer only barriers and isolation? Finally, is the study of composition, film, language, literature, and writing, a kind of island amidst the tempest of the current attack on the humanities?
The special panel chair for Book History welcomes proposals for papers and panels addressing the following topics:
• Composition, publication, and reception histories
• Textual criticism
• Print culture
• BH on a budget (what to do when you don't have a rare book room)
• BH in the classroom (teaching methodologies, curriculum development, collaboration, etc.)
• BH centers (supporting research, consulting services, teaching faculty/students, etc.)
• The Future of Book History
Electronic submissions open August 15 and close on November 1, 2016. Proposals should be between 250 and 500 words in length and should include a title. Please note that only one proposal may be submitted per participant. Notifications of proposal status will be sent in early December.