Placing the Burneys
THE BURNEY SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA 2017 CONFERENCECALL FOR PAPERS "PLACING THE BURNEYS" NOVEMBER 2-3, 2017, PITTSBURGH, PA
The Burney family is strongly associated with various cities such as King's Lynn, London, Bath, Brighton, Paris. The family's many talents flourished in urban settings.
Geographical place mattered to the Burney family. But so did other placements: social, political, and class. Moreover, critical placement in Frances's time and in our own has been essential to crafting different versions of Burney.
Inspired by the Burney's ties to geography, the Burney Society of North America presents "Placing the Burneys."
We invite you to send 1-2 page proposals for twenty minute talks that explore the Burneys and place, broadly construed, accompanied by a cover letter which includes a 50-word biographical statement and, if necessary, a justification of A/V support, to Kate Hamiton (firstname.lastname@example.org) by May 15, 2017.
Papers might address (but are not restricted to) the following topics:
- Place in Frances Burney's Works (City, Country, Interiors)
- Burney Exiles (e.g. Charles Jr. from Oxford, Sussanah to Ireland, d'Arblay to England, Frances to Paris)
- The Influence of Place on Characters or Events in Frances Burney's Works
- Critical Placement of Frances Burney by her Peers or Critics
- Frances Burney's Placement in the Canon and Curriculum
- Charles Burney's Placement in London Society and Meritocracy
- James Burney and Geography
- The Social Placement of the Burney Family
Please note all presenters must be members of the Burney Society.
The Burney Society consists of professional academics, independent scholars, and serious lay readers familiar with the works of the Burney family. We encourage papers that present new research with fresh insights presented in lively language, and that assume audience familiarity with major texts. We are particularly welcoming to young scholars.
For more information: http://www.aphrabehnconference2017.org/home.html