French I: Advent of the Ancien Régime
In keeping with this year’s MMLA convention theme of “Artists and Activists”, presentations investigating the complex relationship between poetics, rhetoric, and politics will be of particular interest. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Changing ethical and philosophical norms between the arts and the sciences
- Reinterpretations of esthetic and literary norms
- Philosophers’ polemics, political activism, and emancipatory ideology
- Reactions to government sponsorship and/or censorship
- Tensions between the secular and the religious
This panel solicits papers exploring various topics related to French literature of the Ancien Régime, but papers extending back through to the Middle Ages are also welcome.
Please submit a 250-word abstract, short biography, and A/V requests to Eric Wistrom at email@example.com by April 5, 2017.