Call for papers for The tenth edition of Dying and Death in 18th-21st century Europe, International Conference (ABDD10).
ABDD10, Sept 2017Call for papers
The tenth edition of Dying and Death in 18th-21st century Europe, International Conference (ABDD10).
On behalf of the Scientific and Organizing Committee, we are delighted to invite you to attend the tenth edition of “Dying and Death in 18th-21st century Europe, International Conference” (ABBDD10), which will take place at the “1 Decembrie 1918” University of Alba-Iulia, Romania, between 26th and 28th September 2017.
Our inter and multidisciplinary conference wishes to bring together academics and practitioners from various fields, historians, sociologists, anthropologists, psychologists, physicians, architects etc. to explore and shed new lights on themes such as the followings:
- Socio-anthropological aspects of death and dying (representations, beliefs, attitudes)
- Grief, mourning and bereavement (communication, practices, therapies, theories)
- End-of-life and palliative care
- Close to death: ageing, dementia, illness
- Disposal of the body (burial, cremation, traditional and postmodern funerary rites)
- Cultural representations of death (art, music, literature, philosophy, architecture)
- Narratives of death, dying and losing (testimonials, diaries, fiction, photo albums)
- Ethical aspects of death (euthanasia, organ donation, death penalty, prolonging life)
- Death and violence (suicide, murder, terrorism, wars)
- Religion and spirituality
- Historical and comparative perspectives on death and dying
- Afterlife, post-self, literal and symbolic immortality
- Death in popular culture (death cafés, virtual wakes, death in movies, newspapers or pop art).
Selected papers will be considered for publication in a collective volume or in an international journal.
Jeffrey Tyssens (Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium)
Zdeněk NEŠPOR (Charles University, Czech Republic)
Important Dates:Deadline for abstract submissionJuly 20, 2017Notification of acceptanceJuly 28, 2017Registration endsSeptember 5, 2017ConferenceSeptember 26-28, 2015
The organizers of this conference are:
- “1 Decembrie 1918” University of Alba Iulia, Romania
- National Museum of Unification, Alba Iulia, Romania
- Alba County Council
- “Amurg. Romanian Cremation Association Romanian Association for Death Studies”
Conference fee and registration
The conference fee is 35 EUR. It must be paid after the notification of acceptance here:
Name of the account holderAsociatia Cremationista AmurgAdressLatureni, 12, HunedoaraInternational Bank Account Number (IBAN)RO 07 BTRL 0630 4205 K646 06XXName of the bankBANCA TRANSILVANIABank Identification COD SWIFT (BIC)BTRL RO21 HD1
When paying report specific information: (mandatory!): Dying and Death Conference
Please note that the costs of travel and accommodation will NOT be covered by the organizers. Meals and coffee breaks will be provided.
If your abstract proposal will be accepted for a presentation, we advise to book your flights to Cluj-Napoca airport, Sibiu airport or Tîrgu-Mureș airport.
Some information regarding the history of our conference (2007-2015) could be read here: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07481187.2016.1257876