EBAAS 2018 Call for Papers (Joint EAAS and BAAS Conference, London)
EBAAS 2018 Call for Papers
The 32nd European Association for American Studies and 63rd British Association for American Studies Conference
4-7 April 2018
King’s College London, University College London and the British Library
Keynote Speakers: Bettye Collier-Thomas (Temple University), Jo Gill (University of Exeter), Pekka Hämäläinen (University of Oxford)
Proposals are welcomed on any subject in American Studies. The overarching themes for the conference are ENVIRONMENT, PLACE and PROTEST, and we particularly welcome submissions in these areas, broadly defined. The conference will also be an opportunity to reflect on the fiftieth anniversary of the turbulent events of 1968 and their impact on the United States and Europe.
Please note the following:
- Given the size and scope of the conference, we will give preference to fully formed panel proposals, but will also accept individual paper proposals where possible.
- All sessions at the conference will be a maximum of 1 hour 30 minutes. Proposals for panels should therefore consist of no more than three speakers, or, if more speakers are desired, should be conceived as roundtable discussions.
- All individual paper proposals should be for 20-minute presentations.
- BAAS and EAAS are dedicated to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage and will give preference to panels that reflect the diversity of our field in terms of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and institutional affiliation. All-male panel proposals will not be accepted.
- Equipment for the projection of PowerPoint presentations will be available in all rooms.
Paper proposals should be 250 words maximum, including a title. Panel proposals should include a 250-word abstract for each constituent paper as well as an abstract of no more than 250 words describing the panel session as a whole.
Please submit proposals, along with a brief CV and email address for each participant, to email@example.com by the deadline of 1 October 2017.
Further details at: www.kcl.ac.uk/ebaas2018
Follow us on Twitter at: @EBAAS2018
Further conference information
The conference will run 4-7 April 2018 inclusive. Projected conference registration costs are as follows:
For early bird registrations made by 15 January 2018:
- £160.00 standard rate
- £80.00 student/ECR rate
For registrations made from 16 January 2018
- £200.00 standard rate
- £120.00 student/ECR rate
Registration will close on 5 March 2018. The conference fee covers attendance throughout, with morning and afternoon refreshments and lunch each day. Breakfasts and dinners are not included in the registration cost.
Delegates will be able to book through our website www.kcl.ac.uk/ebaas2018 from 15 November 2017. The website will include hotel suggestions and travel information. There will not be a dedicated conference hotel and delegates will choose and book their own accommodation. As with any major city, London has accommodation that ranges from budget to luxury and early reservation is strongly recommended. To assist in your accommodation planning, the conference will take place at the following venues which are all in central London:
- Daily panel sessions will be at King’s College London, Stamford Street, London, SE1 9NH.
- Two plenary lectures will take place at University College London, Bedford Way, Bloomsbury, London, WC1H 0AL.
- A reception hosted by the Eccles Centre for American Studies will take place at the world-famous British Library, Euston Road, London, NW1 2DB.
The venues at University College London and the British Library are approximately 35-45 minutes’ walk respectively from the panels or you can use bus, tube or taxi for quicker transfers.
The call for papers closes on 1 October 2017 and the conference committee will contact those who have submitted proposals by 15 November 2017 at the latest.
For all other queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org