Writings from Scotland Before the Union: 2018
Keynote Speaker: Professor John J. McGavin
University of Dundee, April 21st 2018
Now in its second year, Writings from Scotland Before the Union: 2018 is a one-day conference which will continue to explore all areas of literature prior to the Act of Union in 1707.
Hosted by the Centre for Scottish Culture at the University of Dundee, the conference aims to gain a further understanding of how Scotland saw herself in literary terms before formal Union.
Abstracts are welcome on any topic concerning writing from pre-Union Scotland, though some areas of particular interest include the following:
* Scotland’s physical, political and personal links with Northern Europe
* Performance, performativity and early Scottish texts
* Literary, visual and material cultures
* Family, dynasty, politics and identity in Scotland before the Union
* Writings aimed at specific audiences and groups such as children, those in certain occupations etc.
* Adaptations and interpretations of pre-Union writings
* Pre-Union Scottish writing and its influence on world literatures.
Please send abstracts for papers of twenty minutes in length (250-300 words), proposals of panels of no more than three speakers or topics for round-table discussions as well as a short biography to: email@example.com by February 9th, 2018.