DEADLINE EXTENDED: Literature at Sea: Storms, Shipwrecks, and Survival
Call for Papers
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 15 NOVEMBER 2017!
Literature at Sea: Storms, Shipwrecks, and Survival
Jacksonville, Florida, USA, 12-17 May 2018
Abstracts are invited for a conference sponsored by the Troy University English Department on storms, shipwrecks, and survival, broadly defined. Proposed papers may focus on the literature of any country and any literary period, but please keep in mind that the conference language will be English. Topics might include (but are not limited to) the following:
Sublimity and the sea
Ship of state
Ship of fools
The Flying Dutchman
Ship as microcosm or crucible
Sir Francis Drake
Ships and shipping
Please visit <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=litsea2018> to submit a 250-word abstract by 15 November 2017. You will need to create a FREE EasyChair account to submit your abstract (linked at the aforementioned URL). Questions about the conference may be addressed to email@example.com. The conference web site is available at <http://spectrum.troy.edu/conference>.
This conference is scheduled to take place aboard the M. S. Carnival Elation, which will be sailing from Jacksonville, Florida, USA, 12-17 May 2018, with stops in the Bahamas at the ports of Nassau and Half Moon Cay. When possible, presentation times will be arranged so as not to conflict with port visits.
Because of the logistics involved in securing the conference venue and lower prices, we will make decisions on submissions by 1 December 2017.
We hope to produce a conference-proceedings volume in 2019.
Cruise details and other logistics (current as of 11 September 2017):
• To guarantee the conference rate for the cruise, delegates must book their cabins directly with Katona Weddle, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. +1-334-514-2031 (she has arranged a block of cabins for us at a good rate). Ms. Weddle is happy to book other travel arrangements for delegates if desired.
• More information about the cruise is available here: http://tinyurl.com/literatureatsea
• Delegates selected to participate in the conference will need to place deposits (USD $150 per person) to reserve cabins before 8 January 2018. The deposit counts as part of the cruise price. The remainder of the cost will be due 8 March 2018.
• Cabin prices (class 4D, interior) start at USD $399.00 per person, including taxes and port charges, for the duration of the cruise with two people per cabin. The rate amounts to about $79.80 per night, which also includes all meals (but not tips or beverages). Ocean-view cabins are available for $454 (for a 6B, exterior), $459 (for a 6C, exterior) and $479 (for a 6D, exterior) per person at double occupancy.
• The conference organizers will offer delegates the opportunity to pair with other delegates to obtain the rates listed above by sharing cabins (please indicate your preference at the time you place your deposit). Otherwise, single-cabin occupants pay double the cabin price to secure private cabins. Alternatively, delegates may wish to share cabins with friends or relatives—who are welcome to join us aboard (also to be booked with Ms. Weddle as part of our block of cabins) regardless of whether they participate in the conference. Some cabins can hold third and fourth passengers (call for rates).
• The price does not include the conference fee ($50), transportation to the port of Jacksonville, optional hotel stays before or after the cruise, optional (but recommended) travel insurance, parking fees at the port, gratuities, soft drinks or alcoholic beverages, or optional port excursions.
• Ship-board gratuities may be paid in advance ($64.75 per person) at the time of booking.
• Coffee, tea, and water are complimentary aboard the ship. For guests who do not wish to pay for each individual soft drink or alcoholic drink, beverage packages may be purchased in advance online or aboard the ship.
• For directions to the Jacksonville port, as well as other information such as parking fees at the port, please check the web site at https://www.jaxport.com/cruise.
• The Jacksonville International Airport (airport code: JAX; http://www.flyjacksonville.com) is the closest airport (at a distance of approximately 12 miles or 20 kilometers from the cruise terminal). Eight airlines offer passenger service to/from the Jacksonville airport with connections to major eastern airline hubs.
Conference Organizing Committee: Ben P. Robertson, Katona D. Weddle, Shannon Thompson, Ekaterina V. Kobeleva