TAIWAN CHILDREN’S LITERATURE RESEARCH ASSOCIATION 8th ANNUAL CONFERENCE
TAIWAN CHILDREN’S LITERATURE RESEARCH ASSOCIATION (TCLRA)
8th ANNUAL CONFERENCE 第八屆年度會議
CHILDREN’S AND YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE IN TRANSLATION
CALL FOR PAPERS (CFP)
An international one-day conference hosted by
- Department of English Language and Literature, Soochow University
- Taiwan Children’s Literature Research Association (TCLRA)
Date: Saturday, November 24, 2018
Venue: Soochow University, Taipei
Keynote Speaker: Dr.Gillian Lathey, University of Roehampton, London.
The field of children’s literature in Taiwan shows a large proportion of imported and translated texts. It is obvious that children in Taiwan are exposed to numerous creations from many cultures including works translated from English, Japanese, and other languages. Children’s and youth literature from Taiwan may also be exported to other countries and translated into various languages, including English, French, German, indigenous languages, etc. Literary works for children are also adapted and translated into other media including film, animation, computer games, graphic novels, and picture books. This conference will look at the importance of translation in children’s and young adult literature both in Taiwan and in other countries around the world.
Proposals are invited for papers on this topic and may include but are not limited to the following:
- · influence of translated works on local literature and/or society
- · translation of texts in particular formats, such as picture books or young adult novels.
- · transformation from one medium to another, such as from graphic novel to film
- · local texts with English translations
- · multilingual texts
- · multiple translations of classic texts
- · challenges of translating children’s texts
- author translator relationship
- the role of the literary agent and publisher
- the role of awards in selecting works for translation
Types of Presentation:
Paper or Panel Discussion: 30 minutes for each presentation, including a 20-minute presentation and a 10-minute discussion.
Papers may be written and presented in either English or Mandarin Chinese.
Guidelines for Abstract Submission:
Please submit an abstract (300 words in English or Chinese) and a short bio (50-100 words in English) to Jonathan Klassen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information will become available at the conference website: http://english.scu.edu.tw/tclra2018
February 21, 2018: Abstracts Due
March 7, 2018: Notification of Acceptance
September 30, 2018: Revised abstract due for printing in the conference handbook
November 24, 2018: Date of Conference