LANGUAGE, LITERATURE, AND EMOTIONS: 7th International Conference on Language and Literary Studies
The Faculty of Foreign Languages (Alfa BK University in Belgrade) is glad to announce its Seventh International Conference on Language and Literary Studies, which will be held on 18–19 May 2018.
For the seventh issue of our annual conference, we hope to gather academics and professionals whose research focuses on and contributes to the conference topic:
LANGUAGE, LITERATURE, AND EMOTIONS
Anger, disgust, fear, happiness, sadness, surprise, and numerous fine nuances derived from these basic emotions make part of our everyday experience, which is perhaps why we tend not to give them too much serious thought. They make such a substantial and inseparable portion of our lives that we forget that they are also linguistically expressed (or silenced), artistically performed (or disregarded), and (dis)articulated discursively, visually, and textually. The Language, Literature, and Emotions conference will address the significance and construction of the broad, perhaps indefinable, range of emotions in human culture. While such an ample scope indubitably requires more research than a single conference can provide, the aim of this edition is to present at least some empirical and theoretical views on emotions across arts and humanities. Within the broad scope of this topic and with your participation and collaboration, we shall attempt to look into the issues such as:
- Historical, theoretical, and interdisciplinary approaches to the representation of different emotions in literature, theatre, and film
- Emotions aroused in the audiences by works of fiction or art; the responses of interpretative communities to texts
- Affective filters and strategies in language learning
- Conceptualization and expression of emotions in different languages
- The relationship between culture and emotions; ways of communicating and translating emotions
- Conveying emotions in traditional and modern art and performance
- Research into the field of discursive psychology and rhetoric of emotions.
Consider the suggested subtopics in relation to the spectra between remorse and love, aggressiveness and awe, submission and contempt, as well as many other feelings, and do not hesitate to share your ideas. Your proposals for a fifteen-minute presentation (followed by a short discussion) should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, by 15 March 2018. The proposals should contain your name, affiliation and e-mail address, title of the presentation and an abstract of 200 to 250 words, together with 5 to 8 keywords. Proposals should be submitted in English and, if possible, Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrin/Serbian. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by 1 April 2018.