Travel Writing / Writing Travel: "Consuming Cultures"
Travel Writing / Writing Travel Permanent Session, Midwest Modern Language Association
Kansas City, Missouri 15-18 November 2018
Conference Theme: “Consuming Cultures”
The Midwest Modern Language Association’s Permanent Session of Travel Writing / Writing Travel is soliciting proposals for 20-minute papers. The conference this year is 15-18 November 2018 in gorgeous, historical Kansas City, Missouri.
This year’s conference theme, “Consuming Cultures,” provides especially rich opportunity in the consideration (and critique) of “consumption” in its relation to travel, and travel writing. Papers on any aspect of this topic from any time period are welcome, including but not limited to the following ideas:
- tourism as cultural consumption
- sustainable tourism
- travel writing as cultural consumption and/or production
- the politics of map-making and place-naming
- Indigenous or local resistance to tourism
- travel as personal journey and/or national policy
- food tourism
- the travel digest (sorry, I couldn’t resist)
Of especial interest are papers that create space for dialogue across disciplines or genres.
Please send proposals of 500 words by 5 April, 2018 to Erika Behrisch Elce: email@example.com.