Transposition of Religious and Theological Concepts Through Worldbuilding

deadline for submissions: 
February 23, 2018
full name / name of organization: 
AAR, Religion and Science Fiction Unit

I am working to organize a panel proposal for this year's American Academy of Religion conference for the Religion and Science Fiction Unit. In particular, I am looking for fellow panelists interested in presenting papers on the topic "Transposition of Religious and Theological Concepts Through Worldbuilding." If you are interested, I would need your 1,000-word proposal and 150-word abstract by February 23rd so that I can draft a cohesive 1,000-word panel proposal before the final deadline. Please reach out to me if you are interested. When authors, filmmakers, videogame designers and other sf creators engage in elaborate worldmaking, they often transform, adapt, translate, recombine, and transpose concepts from historical religions, theologies, and worldviews. Your proposal might look at a single work or artist, a class of works that engage in a similar type of "transposition," a variety of ways a particular worldview has been transposed into sf, and so on. If you would like to correspond more about potential ideas, please feel free to contact me.