William Faulkner and World War I -- MLA 2019

deadline for submissions: 
March 12, 2018
full name / name of organization: 
William Faulkner Society
contact email: 

CALL FOR PAPERS

Modern Language Association Convention

January 3-6, 2019, Chicago

Faulkner and World War I

Whether at the novice (Soldiers’ Pay), developing (As I Lay Dying), or established (A Fable) phase of his career, Faulkner drew on World War I as a source of material for self-fashioning and performance, historical memory, and literary production. In the immediate wake of the World War I Centennial, the William Faulkner Society invites proposals for papers that reconsider Faulkner in relation to the war from a variety of critical perspectives: modernism (regional, national, transatlantic, or global), nationalism, gender, trauma, disability and ableism, social relations/formations, economic factors, technological innovations/disruptions, media ecology and print culture, among other possibilities. Comparative approaches are welcome. How might revisiting Faulkner’s engagement with World War I at this post-Centennial moment help us to gain new insights into his life and work and to continue gauging the reverberations of a monumental historical event over time?   

Send a 250-word abstract and brief bio to Ted Atkinson (wfsociety@gmail.com) by March 12, 2018.