Gothic Journeys: Paths, Crossings, and Intersections
The Gothic Association of New Zealand and Australia (GANZA) welcomes papers for its fourth biennial conference, to be held at the Mantra on View Hotel in Surfers Paradise, Australia, on 22-23 January 2019.
GANZA is interdisciplinary in nature, bringing together scholars, students, teachers and professionals from a number of Gothic disciplines, including literature, film, music, television, fashion, architecture, and other popular culture forms. It is the aim of the Association to not only place a focus on Australasian Gothic scholarship, but also to build international links with the wider Gothic community as a whole.
The conference invites abstracts for 20-minute presentations related to the theme of 'Gothic Journeys’.
Topics can include, but are not limited to:
- Gothic wanderers, travellers, and explorers
- Journeys of the mind and body
- Gothic spaces, regionalities, and geographies
- Death, haunting, and ‘crossing over’
- Boundaries and transgressions
- Monsters and the Monstrous
- Gothic maps and migrations
- Gothic histories and Gothic folklore
- Horror in its various contexts
- Displacement and identity
- Trauma and trauma narratives
- Movement through time, space, and digital worlds
- Gothic forms in popular culture
- Navigating the Gothic (from the road well-travelled to new pathways)
- Intersections between the Gothic and other fields of study
- Global Gothic
- The Uncanny
- Postcolonial Gothic
- Travel Gothic and Gothic tourism
- The Gothic in the past, present, and future
Please e-mail abstracts of 200 words to the attention of the conference organisers at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstracts should include your name, affiliation, e-mail address, the title of your proposed paper, and a short bio (100 words max). The deadline for submissions is 31st August 2018.