Innovation and Technology in Language Teaching
“(Pero) hoy es incuestionable la supremacía de lo digital, y si a lo largo de nuestra historia un cambio de tecnología supuso evolución en las formas de vida, ¿qué nos puede deparar lo digital?”.
The research group EL@N from Universidade Aberta will be hosting the first conference on innovation and technology in language teaching as applied to e-learning and b-learning environments. The aim of this initiative is to spark debate on teaching practices and the effect of technology in learning, through a sharing of perspectives and approaches to the theme in different educational contexts.
In the 21st century and in an increasingly globalized world, the shift to technology enables closer contact between different linguistic and communicational contexts and provides answers to the growing educational imperative for global citizens to acquire knowledge in foreign languages.
The specificities of distant learning in foreign languages facilitate the acquisition of general skills, as defined by the CEFR, such as socio- and intercultural communication, by using digital resources, tools and apps which are designed to encourage interaction and knowledge exchange between native and non-native speakers in the target language.
The present reflection opens the debate on this teaching and learning environment and allows for the sharing of ideas and experiences which will in turn enable innovation and the development of pedagogical skills in the context of online learning. We therefore invite researchers from different fields of teaching (online/b-learning/classroom) to submit proposals for 15-minute papers on, but not limited to, the following topics:
- Technological development as applied to teaching
- New concepts in language teaching/learning (intercultural skills, critical language awareness, language learning awareness)
- Conception and evaluation of digital educational resources
- Open educational resources and their use in virtual environments
- Interaction in the virtual classroom
- Developing speaking skills in foreign language learning
- Teacher and student roles in virtual environments Blended learning (using digital tools in the conventional classroom)
- Student motivation/motivating students
- Time management in the virtual classroom
- Knowledge building in the virtual classroom
- Assessing the student in digital contexts
- Mobile learning in formal learning contexts
- Articulating teaching foreign languages with institutional contexts
Workshops will have a duration of 45 minutes and can be either an open class/module, or a demonstration of how to use resources and tools, or how to create activities and other online practices, among others. Proposal should contain a description of objectives and topics which will be dealt with.
We welcome proposals for presentations or workshops (300 words max.) in Portuguese, English, French, Spanish or German. Please send your proposals with your name, contact, institution and a brief bionote (100 words max.) by 30 September 2018 to email@example.com
By 15th November: 30€
20 € (students)
Selected texts will be published in an e-book.
Ana Setién Burgués
Isabelle Simões Marques
Margarida Pereira Martins
For further information please visit: https://elonuab2018.wordpress.com