“Pilgrimages and Tourism” International Conference
“Pilgrimages and Tourism”International Conference15-16 June, 2019 – Cambridge, UKorganised byLondon Centre for Interdisciplinary Research
Pilgrimages are ancient practices of humankind and are associated with a great variety of religious, spiritual and secular traditions. In today’s world the number of visits to sacred sites such as Santiago de Compostela (Spain), La Virgen de Guadalupe (Mexico), Matka Boska Czetochowska (Poland), secular places such as Graceland, home of Elvis Presley, Eifel Tower in Paris, Hiroshima Peace Museum and virtual pilgrimages, facilitated by video and satellite links is growing. With them, tourism both individual and in groups has been steadily increasing and changing.
This conference seeks to explore, analyse and discuss the complex concepts of pilgrimages and tourism. What is a pilgrimage? Do pilgrimages contribute to the sense of community and belonging? Is tourism a transformative experience? How do souvenirs, memorabilia and travelogues facilitate imagination of other people and places?
Conference presentations will be related, but not limited, to:
- History of pilgrimages and tourism
- Geography of pilgrimage and tourism
- Pilgrimages, tourism and religion
- Pilgrimages and theology
- Pilgrimages, tourism and philosophy
- Pilgrimages, tourism and literature
- Pilgrimages, tourism and media
- Pilgrimages, tourism and art
- Pilgrimages, tourism and economy
- Pilgrimages, tourism and politics
- Pilgrimages, tourism and culture
- Teaching tourism and pilgrimages
The conference will bring together scholars from different fields including philosophy, religion, theology, sociology, anthropology, history, literature, art, economy, geography, cultural studies, political studies and others.
Submissions may propose various formats, including:
*Individually submitted papers (organised into panels by committee)
* Panels (3-4 individual papers)
* Roundtable discussions (led by one of the presenters)
Proposals up to 250 words and a brief biographical note should be sent by 15 February, 2019 to: email@example.com
Selected papers will be published in the post-conference volume.
Standard registration fee – 220 GBP
Student registration fee – 180 GBP
Lady Margaret Road