"Public Goods": CFP for Behn/Burney Biennial Conference (November 5-9, 2019)
Auburn University College of Liberal Arts will host the biennial joint meeting of the Aphra Behn and Frances Burney Societies November 5-9, 2019 at the Caroline Marshall Draughon Center for Arts & Humanities, located at historic Pebble Hill in Auburn, Alabama. In the spirit of the College's work supporting humanities outreach to the public, we seek papers, roundtables, and workshops that engage with the idea of public good(s). As Behn and Burney both knew, public action is both vital and fraught, and working towards a better world can take many forms.
We seek presentations and workshops that engage with the questions around public engagement and advocacy, historically and practically.
- How do we share what we know about the long tradition of women’s work in the arts in new ways to new audiences?
- What strategies do we have when faced with apathy or even hostility?
- How do the lives and work of women from the long eighteenth-century (1660-1840) speak to our current concerns?
- How do we grapple with misinformation, archival absences, and other challenges?
- Most importantly and most urgently: how do we decolonize the study of women writers and artists in keeping with the principles of #BIPOC18, #Bigger6 and #LitPOC values?
- Individual Papers: traditional (12-15 minute) papers, to be delivered on panels)
- Roundtables: Groups of 4-5 speakers, each speaking for no more than 5 minutes, on a shared topic. Roundtable organizers are encouraged to solicit contributors publicly prior to submission, and to contact the organizers if they would like assistance.
- Workshops: Dedicated small (12 person) room will be set aside from workshops introducing interested attendees to a new method of research, teaching, or outreach. Participants will sign up at registration, and every attempt will be made to ensure that, and materials will be available after the conference. Leaders are sought for sessions on journal article submission, starting a digital project, new pedagogical techniques, managing a social media presence, outreach projects, and the like.
Apply (and more information) at: https://www.behnburney2019.com/