EXTENDED DEADLINE: Henry James Society CfP at Midwest MLA "Duality, Doubles, and Doppelgänger"
The Henry James Society seeks proposals on the MMLA conference theme of “Duality, Doubles and Doppelgänger” as it relates to the life and/or works of Henry James.
The conference will be held in Chicago on November 14-17, 2019.
Topics could include, but are by no means limited to:
- Doubles, doppelgängers, brothers, twins, mirror images, hauntings
- Identity, transcultural identity, psychology studies, cultural studies, literary criticism, gender studies
- Film and operatic adaptations of James’s fictions
- Duality in pedagogy, doubles in the classroom (the professor’s persona, teaching Gothic and other generic doubles and duplicities, the student-teacher relationship/dichotomy, teaching with various methods, digital teaching, hybrid and on-line teaching vs face-to-face; the use of avatars)
- Double-meanings (linguistics, semantics, multiple interpretations)
- Duality of texts and parataxis
- Double entendre: humor, jokes, dark humor, all aspects of laughter (laughter as a social construct, laughter as a cultural construct)
- Translations and translators (translating double meaning, cross-cultural interpretation, choosing the right word, translating the word vs translating the idea)
- Reproductions, mass productions, copies, reproducing the written word (printing press, typewriter, consumerism, capitalism)
Please submit proposals of 200-500 words by APRIL 5 to the panel organizer, Professor Beverly Haviland at Beverly_Haviland @brown.edu