SAMLA 91 General Call for Papers

deadline for submissions: 
July 15, 2019
full name / name of organization: 
South Atlantic Modern Language Association
contact email: 

General Call for Papers

SAMLA invites prospective conference participants to submit abstracts to our annual General Call for Papers. The General Call will be used to build programming from accepted abstracts that did not resonate with any of our currently published CFPs. 

Abstracts will be reviewed internally, and accepted abstracts will either be placed on an extant panel or combined with other General Call abstracts to create new sessions. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee acceptance and placement, though we will work earnestly and diligently to place all abstracts.

Although there is no proscription against submitting multiple abstracts, all participants are reminded that each participant may present only one traditional paper per SAMLA conference.

Click here to submit to the General Call for Papers.

Submissions will be accepted through July 15, 2019.

Conference Information

SAMLA 91 | Languages: Power, Identity, Relationships
November 15–17, 2019 | Westin Peachtree Plaza | Atlanta, Georgia

Those of us who make up the South Atlantic Modern Language Association are, according to our website, “dedicated to the advancement of literary and linguistic scholarship and teaching in the modern languages.” Our areas of study range from African/African American, American,  Asian/Asian American, Caribbean, English, French, German, Hispanic, Italian, Luso-Portuguese, and Slavic—to  studies in Creative Writing, Film, Gender and Sexuality, Interdisciplinarity, Pedagogy, and Rhetoric and Composition. We are undergraduate and graduate students; fulltime and part-time instructors and lecturers; assistant, associate, full, and retired professors. While we are a diverse group of individuals from all parts of the globe, there is something huge that we have in common: We are scholars who are fascinated by and passionate about languages.

We resonate with Virginia Woolf’s statement, “When I cannot see words curling like rings of smoke round me I am in darkness—I am nothing.” We nod our heads in agreement with Jacques Derrida’s edict, “What cannot be said above all must not be silenced but written.”  We shout out a hearty “Amen!” when we hear Melina Marchetta declare: “Without our language, we have lost ourselves. Who are we without our words?”  And we applaud Gloria Anzaldua’s declaration: “So, if you want to really hurt me, talk badly about my language. Ethnic identity is twin skin to linguistic identity—I am my language. Until I can take pride in my language, I cannot take pride in myself.”

We believe in the power of language to change lives and make our world a better place for all. We understand that our language is our identity, and we know that language is the key to building healthy, strong relationships with others near and far. 

During SAMLA 91, we will celebrate languages, the ways we use them, the ways they use us, the ways they shape our realities. Presenters are invited to speak on any aspects associated with the miracle of language.