JurisApocalypse Now! Law in End Times
Southern Cross University School of Law and Justice, in partnership with the Law, Literature and the Humanities Association of Australasia (LLHAA), is proud to convene and organise the 2019 LLHAA conference titled JurisApocalypse Now! Law in End Times, which will be held at Southern Cross University Gold Coast Campus on 2-4 December 2019.
The conference will explore the intersection of legality, temporality and eschatology, the normatively uncertain and yet inherently creative space originated by the conflicting encounter between the orderly desire of law and the entropic tendency of apocalyptic narratives, with both forces cast against the backdrop of the ever-deferred notion of time itself.
Papers or panel proposals (of three to four papers) are invited on a broad range of topics relating to the conference theme of ‘Law in End Times’, primarily (although not exclusively) within the following sub-themes:
- Post-humanism and futurism
- Colonialism, the end of culture and Indigenous resistance
- The end of rationality: law’s desire, law’s unconscious, law’s apocrypha
- Speculative realism, anti-philosophy and the end of theory
- The end of nature: environmental crises and ecological collapse
- War, conflict, and the end of peace
- Law’s materialisms
- Fake news and the end of truth
- Law, historicity, and the construction of time
- Biogenetics, prosthetics, biohacking, gene-hacking: the end of death
- Digital humanities: visions, panics, punk
- Gender, bodies and desire: law and the future of sex
- Automating law and automatic law: the end of the legal profession
- Failed revolutions and the end of history
- Holding back the apocalypse: Law, the Katechon and Political Theology
Papers are also invited on all other intersectional topics relevant to the conference theme. The committee welcomes proposals across a range of disciplines including (but not limited to) law, humanities, and the arts.
Furthermore, the conference is organised in conjunction with the 2019 Law and Society Association of Australia and New Zealand (LSAANZ) conference, titled Survive, Thrive, Die: Law in End Times, which will be held on 5-7 December 2019, still at Southern Cross University Gold Coast Campus. The two conferences, although distinct and separate, are nonetheless connected by a shared overarching theme, and are articulated around a shared Postgraduate Day, which will be held on the 5th December. Scholars are invited, in a profoundly interdisciplinary manner, to participate in either or both conferences.
For further information, or if you have any query about the conferences, please visit https://sljresearch.net.au/lawinendtimes/call-for-abstracts/llhaa/
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
Submission deadline: Extended to 31 August 2019
The Organising Committee invites the submission of abstracts of original work. Abstracts can be submitted for consideration for an oral presentation or a hard copy poster.
The Organising Committee will endeavour to notify presenters whether their proposed paper has been accepted at the beginning of each month following the abstract’s submission.
Submissions can be made using the following link: https://sljresearch.net.au/lawinendtimes/call-for-abstracts/llhaa/#submi...