Good Omens--Conference Presentation
This is a one-time special area for the 2020 Southwest Popular/American Culture Association (SWPACA) Conference.
Conference is in Albquerque, New Mexico, February 19-22, 2020.
The Area Chair for Good Omens welcomes and considers any and all proposals related to the book, the series, or both. Proposals are especially encouraged on the following topics:
- Examining the adaptation from book to series. What’s inferred from the text but not explicit (eg, the use of Queen), what is highlighted, what is excluded.
- Performance studies; eg, influence of previous roles or Michael Sheen’s (Aziraphale) contention that fanfic informed his interactions with Crowley (David Tennant); casting choices
- Platform: Do streaming platforms offer greater opportunities? Would it have been released on broadcast or cable?
- ”Ineffable Husbands”: Queer readings of Crowley/Aziraphale
- Gender presentation: eg, Pollution, God, Crowley as Nanny, etc.
- Names/naming: how and why names matter (book or series) (eg, Dog, Adam, Crawley to Crowley, Sister Loquacious)
- The theology of Good Omens: interpretation, satirization, prophets/prophecy, angels/demons
- Reception, including the ill-fated petition to Netflix
- Collaboration (Gaiman/Pratchett; Crowley/Aziraphale, BBC/Amazon)
- Portrayals of Britishness: Crowley/Aziraphale, the Them, etc as “quintessential” or stereotypical; Easter eggs (eg, Who references, Python-esque opening titles
- The power of imagination as seen in the book/series
- Power dynamics in the book/series: e.g. heaven vs. hell, adults vs. kids, humans vs. supernatural beings, etc.
- Fandom: differences/intersections/contentions between book and series fans
- Implications of shifting the time in the book from the early 90s to contemporary times
- Series as tribute to Pratchett (per interviews with Gaiman)
- Rise in apocalyptic texts: How does Good Omens speak to our current times/fascination with/need for apocalyptic texts? What does it offer?
- Literary influences on Good Omens
- Cinematic/filmic influences on the small-screen adaptation
For proposal submissions, visit https://southwestpca.org and select the Conference drop-down menu. Proposals should be submitted directly to the Conference system. Submit any questions to Mandy Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.