"Wallace Stevens and Performance" - guaranteed panel at the American Literature Association Annual Conference, May 2020, San Diego CA
Wallace Stevens Society Call for Papers
American Literature Association
May 21-24, 2020, San Diego, CA
Wallace Stevens and Performance
The Wallace Stevens Society is pleased to invite papers for a panel on the topic of “Stevens and Performance” at the American Literature Association (ALA) conference in San Diego, California, on May 21-24, 2020. Topics might include (but are not limited to):
- Tropes of performance that recur in Stevens’s poetry: the actor, the audience, musical performance, dance.
- Theatrical forms that appear in Stevens’s poetry: the soliloquy, the monologue, the dialogue.
- Stevens’s playwriting.
- The influence of specific performance works or genres of performance on Stevens’s writing, and Stevens’s own influence on other playwrights and performance artists.
- The intertextual invocation of Wallace Stevens and/or his work in performance texts, such as David Todd’s multimedia play Things as They Are, Nick Cave’s song “We Call Upon the Author”, or Matt Barber’s song cycle To the Roaring Wind.
- Stevens’s public performances of his own work.
- Questions of performance versus reality in Stevens’s work.
Interested parties should send a 250-300 word abstract and brief biographical note to Hannah Simpson (email@example.com) by January 1st 2020. Please include any request for AV or access needs with your proposal.