FANS Quarantime: A Special Edition of The Phoenix Papers
A Special Edition of The Phoenix Papers
During this time of uncertainty, many of us are relying on aspects of fandom and neomedia to get information about the global pandemic and to form our replies to it in terms of connecting with colleagues, staying mentally functional, and generally keeping our lives going as best we can.
It is with all these things in mind that we announce a call for papers for a special edition of our journal: FANS Quarantime.
Submissions may be academic, editorial, or opinion piece in nature. There are no maxima or minima for length so long as they adhere to our style guide. Academic and industry credentials are not necessary to contribute to this special edition.
Topics may include but are not limited to:
- Media production and release
- Audience reception
- Social media gathering places
- Marathon gaming and movie-watching
- Strengths and weaknesses of video conferencing
- Online teaching and learning
- 24-hour news cycle
- Online campaigns for action
- Media and health
- Online shopping
- Parent-child interactions
- Support of health care professionals
- Corona couture
The submission deadline is 15 July 2020. All accepted works will be published in a special edition of The Phoenix Papers in mid-August 2020. Authors of accepted papers will be invited to present their work at our projected 2021 conference in Dallas, TX. Please contact us directly with any inquiries. In the meantime, stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones.
- Chair: J. Holder Bennett, Lecturer in History, University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, Texas, USA
- Co-Chair: Andrew Tague, Texas A & M University at Commerce, Commerce, Texas, USA
- Dr. Marc Hairston, Research Scientist, William B. Hanson Center for Space Sciences, University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, Texas, USA
- Dr. Michael Vandehey, Professor of Psychology, Midwestern State University, Wichita Falls, Texas, USA
- Jonathan Davis, Independent Entrepreneur, Colleyville, Texas, USA
- Helen McCarthy, Author and Founder of Manga UK, London, England, UK
- Jonathan Tarbox, Instructor, Prince Sultan University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Kyle Hammonds, Graduate Student Liaison, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma, USA
- Karson Bryant, Undergraduate Student Liaison, Collin College, McKinney, Texas, USA