The Humanities in Transition - Critical Theory Issue

deadline for submissions: 
July 10, 2020
full name / name of organization: 
Flannery Wilson / San Bernardino Valley College

For this issue we have something entirely new in store. 

Do you remember a time in college or in grad school where you read a piece of critical theory, then thought: 

Wait a minute. If I’m being honest with myself, did I really understand that? If I had to summarize what I just read in a few words, would I be able to? 

In this issue, we want to see you grappling with some of your favorite critical theory texts. 

1. Choose a book, an essay, even a short excerpt.
  2. Explain why you chose it.
  3. Tell us about the first time you read it. What were your thoughts? Your reactions?
  4. Perform a close reading of one passage in particular and connect it back to the text or topic more generally. In other words, translate for your reader!
  5. Finally, we want to see you reach a conclusion about the piece. Would reading this text discourage/encourage burgeoning humanists to continue their studies? Do you find it useful and if so why? Would you still assign this to college students? Why or why not?

We’d like to hear your thoughts on these issues and more.

Remember: we want to hear your words. Don’t let the text overtake your own voice. You need to write as clearly as possible.

These should be opinion pieces.

No more than 1500 words.

Check out our recent essays on the Derrida/Searle debate for inspiration.

Please also note: if you enroll in Medium's partner program, your essay is eligible to earn money. 

We look forward to reading your proposals!

-The editors, HiT

https://medium.com/the-humanities-in-transition