search the archive
search the archive
CFP: Lesbians and Bisexual Women on Television (1/15/06; anthology)
full name / name of organization:
In recent years, several academic texts have been published on queer representation on television including Steven Capsuto’s Alternate Channels, Larry Gross’ Up From Invisibility and Stephen Tropiano’s The Prime Time Closet. Many of these studies focus largely, or at times exclusively, on gay men, and almost all focus solely on American examples. With the ongoing expansion in terms of both the volume and quality of representation of lesbian and bisexual women on television, the time has now come for an academic anthology that focuses on the representation of queer women on television internationally.
Potential thematics could include but are not limited to an analysis of:
- particular characters within television programs (reality and scripted)
- histories or contextual studies of lesbian and bisexual representation on television in various national/channel/regional contexts
- the ideological messages behind particular lesbian/bisexual representations
- discussion of lesbian and bisexual female writers/directors/producers of television programs and their oeuvre
- reception of programs that contain lesbian or bisexual characters
- the creation or history of lesbian programs such as Dyke TV
- women’s programming on “all-gay” cable channels
- lesbian-themed telemovies
- censorship of portrayals of same-sex female sexuality
- ‘lesbian’ kisses between straight women
- critical response to lesbian-themed programs or lesbian/bisexual characters
- differences between lesbian and bisexual representation on television
Potential texts could include but are not limited to:
Dyke TV, The L Word, Bad Girls, Queer as Folk, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, E.R., Edgemont, All My Children, Mulheres Apaixonadas, Sex and the City, Tipping the Velvet, Fingersmith, If These Walls Could Talk 2, Serving in Silence, Brookside, Ellen, Berlin Berlin, Dark Angel, Common Ground, Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, EastEnders, Survivor, Experiment: Gay and Straight, The D Word, Verbotene Liebe, Big Brother, Senhora do Destino, Queer Eye for the Straight Girl, Neighbours, The O.C., Nip/Tuck, Lindenstrasse, Six Feet Under, Dark Angel, Sugar Rush, America’s Next Top Model, Wonderfalls, One Tree Hill, The Secret Life of Us, The Wire, All Saints, K Street, Hex, Last Man Standing and Queer Nation.
The anthology will be published with an emerging independent publisher during 2006.
Please submit your paper and an academic CV to the editor by 15 January 2006 at rebecca_beirne_at_yahoo.com.au
Essays must be formatted in MLA style, and be between 5,000 and 7,000 words long. Please feel free to send proposals or questions regarding the anthology. Submission before the due date would be welcomed. Articles previously published in online or print journals will be considered provided that permission to republish is included with the submission. Graduate students and non-university affliated researchers are encouraged to submit papers.
Woolley Building, A20
University of Sydney