full name / name of organization:
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:
Contributors are currently sought for a collection of scholarly essays devoted to the films of Guy Maddin, one of the most distinctive, outlandish, and personal filmmakers. Though Maddin’s international reputation has grown steadily over the past two decades, in-depth academic analyses of his work have been relatively few in number. This collection will attempt to redress that deficiency by bringing new material alongside several previously published essays, offering multiple perspectives on all things Maddin.
Possible topics include:
* postmodernism and its relatives (pastiche, irony, ambivalence, etc.)
* themes of amnesia/incest/necrophilia
* inter/national and regional/civic identities (Canadian, Icelandic, prairie, Winnipeg, etc.)
* uses of technology (e.g., digital editing, primitivism)
* spatial and temporal qualities
* employment of surrealism, melodrama, primitivism, camp
* uses of auto/biography, documentary, fairy tales, myth
* issues of sexuality (incest, voyeurism/fetishism, sadism/masochism, queerness, etc.)
* uses of history, literary/filmic influences
* cult reputation
Other topics are more than welcome. Close readings of Maddin’s individual feature films (or even short films) are desired in addition to essays that examine his oeuvre in general. Completed essays of approx. 3500-8000 words are requested. Standard academic format and citation methods apply.
300-500 word abstracts are due by April 1, 2007 (via email). Full essays will be due by November 1, 2007.
Send abstracts, questions, comments, and concerns to editor David Church at either churchofdavid_at_yahoo.com or armand_guiterrez_at_hotmail.com. (If no acknowledgement of receipt from one address, please send to the other.)
San Francisco State University
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
Full Information at
or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj_at_english.upenn.edu
Received on Sun Jan 28 2007 - 15:00:17 EST