CFP: [American] 2nd Annual Norwich University English Studies Conference on Northern New England Literature (2/1/09;
Submissions are invited for individual papers or panels on writers of any
genre from Northern New England (New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont) or
writings about Northern New England.
This conference seeks to explore the very rich literary tradition of the
Northern half of New England.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- International Intersections of the US/Canadian border
- Travel or Environmental Literature/Writers
- Writing of/by Northern New England writers of any historical
- Focus on specific authors, such as Stephen King, Howard Frank
Mosher, Robert Frost, Sarah Orne Jewett, etc.
- Focus on lesser known writers of the region, from any period
- Current-day fiction set in Northern New England
- Poetry of Northern New England
- Papers exploring history, criticism, or theory
- Creative works set in or about Northern New England
- Creative works by writers who are natives or current residents of
VT, NH, or ME
The keynote speaker for this conference will be Kent Ryden, Associate
Professor and Director of American and New England Studies at the
University of Southern Maine. Professor Rydenâ€™s publications include
Mapping the Invisible Landscape: Folklore, Writing, and The Sense of
Place and Landscape with Figures: Nature and Culture in New England.
This conference will take place Saturday, April 17-18, 2009 at Norwich
University in Northfield, VT.
All panelists must be registered participants of the conference.
Submissions should be a 250-300 word abstract of anticipated paper or 500
word abstract of anticipated panel.
Please include complete contact information (name, home address, email,
phone, affiliation if any).
Deadline for submission of abstracts is Sunday, February 1, 2009. All
email submissions will receive a confirmation of receipt.
Submissions are preferred in email format to NUNNEL_at_norwich.edu .
Hard copies will be accepted to:
Kathleen McDonald, Ph.D.
English Studies Conference
Department of English
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663
For more information, contact Kathleen McDonald at kmcdonal_at_norwich.edu
(802-485-2416) or Brett Cox at fcox_at_norwich.edu (802-485-2436).
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
more information at
Received on Fri Nov 21 2008 - 13:19:36 EST