full name / name of organization:
CALL FOR PAPERS
12th Annual Postgraduate Medieval Conference
17th-18th February 2006
University of Bristol, UK
'Invention and Discovery'
We are pleased to invite papers from postgraduate medievalists on the theme
of Invention and Discovery in the Middle Ages (c.500AD - c. 1500AD). This
is a period with which ideas of Invention and Discovery resonate in many
ways, including (but not limited to):
- the (re)discovery of ancient texts and the invention of new meanings in
- travel and the discovery of new lands and cultures;
- technological advances and their impact;
- the discovery of artefacts/ manuscripts that have had a major influence
- rhetorical inventio, the invention of literary forms, metres, and methods
of representation in the visual arts;
- invention as fabrication, hoax, forgery, fantasy, etc.
- invention and discovery as modern modes for studying the medieval period;
Papers should be 20 minutes long. Abstracts can be sent to
By email (for preference): gareth_at_griffith6443.fsnet.co.uk
By post: University of Bristol, Department of English, 3/5 Woodland Rd,
Bristol, BS8 1TB, UK
By email (for preference): markkauntze_at_hotmail.com
By post: University of Bristol, Department of Historical Studies, 13
Woodland Road, Bristol, BS8 1TB, UK
Abstracts should be received by 31st December.
There is no conference fee, and all are welcome to attend.
GW Griffith, English
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
Full Information at
or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj_at_english.upenn.edu
Received on Sun Oct 23 2005 - 23:11:09 EDT