full name / name of organization:
Junior Researcher Symposium "On the Outlook: Figures of the Messianic"
Call For Papers
In conjunction with the international conference "Messianism and the
Law" which will take place on 11 and 12 May 2006, the Institute of
Jewish Studies at the University of Antwerp is also planning a Junior
Researcher Symposium "On the Outlook: Figures of the Messianic" which
will be conducted on 10 and 11 May 2006.
Contributions for this Junior Researcher Symposium, which is expected
to focus on the modes and functions of Messianic thinking in
twentieth-century philosophy, may be submitted to the organizers as
Papers should not exceed 30 minutes and possibly but not exclusively
- Figures of the Messianic in the work of W. Benjamin, G. Scholem, J.
Taubes, E. Lévinas, Th. Adorno, Fr. Rosenzweig, J. Derrida, A.
Badiou, J.-L. Nancy, G. Agamben
- Messianism and poststructuralism (e.g. similarities between the
paradoxes of Messianism and the deconstruction of binary thinking)
- Writing and Messianism (e.g. difference and the deferral of
presence in Messianic time)
- Discontinuous temporality (how is Messianism related to
philosophical concepts such as promise, infancy, and potentiality?)
- Messianism, secularization and religion (do we observe a
secularization of Messianic thinking? or an introduction of political
theology into philosophy?)
- What is the relationship between Jewish and Christian figurations
- Messianism and political activism
- Messianism and hope (e.g. in Ernst Bloch's 'Das Prinzip Hoffnung'?)
- Collectivity and individuality (is messianic redemption always
concerned with the redemption of a collective body (mankind, a
specific people), and not with individual salvation? How does the
popularity of messianic figurations relate to a renewed philosophical
interest in 'we', instead of 'I'?)
Drs. Thomas Crombez
Dr. Katrien Vloeberghs
Please submit abstracts (500 words) to thomas.crombez_at_ua.ac.be before
20 February 2006.
Speakers will be notified of acceptance by 10 March 2006.
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
Full Information at
or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj_at_english.upenn.edu
Received on Tue Feb 14 2006 - 11:10:46 EST