full name / name of organization:
New deadline for submissions:
Proposals for all areas of the SW/TX PCA/ACA conference, including the American History and Culture area, are now due December 15, 2006.
Call for Papers: American History and Culture area
Southwest/Texas Popular Culture / American Culture Associations
28th Annual Conference, February 14-17, 2007 in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The 2007 SW/TX PCA/ACA Conference will be held at the Hyatt Regency in vibrant downtown Albuquerque, New Mexico, just steps from historic Route 66. Further details about the conference are available at http://www.h-net.org/~swpca
Sessions are still forming for the American History and Culture area of the conference. Email 250-word abstracts for individual presentations - or proposals for full sessions - to Area Chair Kelli Shapiro (Dept. of American Civilization, Brown University) at Kelli_Shapiro_at_brown.edu . Please include a current CV or bio. The submission deadline (for all areas of the conference) is now December 15, 2006.
Professors, independent scholars, teachers, and professionals are encouraged to participate. Graduate students are particularly welcome at the conference, which offers awards for the best graduate papers.
Below are some suggestions (non-inclusive) for presentation / session topics related to the broad area of American History and Culture. Each presentation should have a historical focus and should emphasize culture. (The conference has numerous other areas as well - each with a separate area chair - so please consult the website to see where your presentation idea would fit best.)
* Public history, collective memory, nostalgia, historic preservation, memorials / monuments, and historical sites
* Consumer culture and advertising
* Leisure, public amusements, travel, and tourism
* Car culture, the American road / roadside America, and Route 66
* Urban studies, architecture, city planning, cultural geography, and cultural landscapes
* Local image / identity creation, boosterism, the marketing of place, and urban revitalization
* Stardom and celebrity culture
* Youth culture / subcultures, children's culture, senior culture, etc.
* Visual culture, art, design, and performing arts
* American cultural history in general, specific eras / periods, etc.
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
Full Information at
or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj_at_english.upenn.edu
Received on Mon Dec 11 2006 - 18:27:14 EST