CFP: [American] Truman Capote (4/10/08; MMLA 11/13/08-11/16/08)
CALL FOR PAPERS
Special Panel: "Truman Capote"
50th Annual MMLA Convention
2008 Informal Convention Theme: Fame/Infamy
November 13-16, 2008
This panel seeks to present critical investigations of the literary and
cultural work of Truman Capote (1924-1984).
All methodological approaches are welcome.
Possible thematic topics include:
* Capoteâ€™s production of and influence in fiction, reportage, and the
* adaptations of Capote's works, biography / bio-pic
* fictional accounts of Capote (inclusive of gossip, rumor and innuendo)
* Capote as famous friend (Harper Lee, Andy Warhol, et.al.) and infamous
enemy (Norman Mailer, Jacqueline Susann, Gore Vidal, Tennessee Williams,
* the dialectic of fame/infamy, and larger issues of celebrity and literary
culture; intersections of celebrity and "high" culture; the â€œriseâ€, â€œfallâ€
and â€œrevivalâ€ of the author
Please send one-page abstract and CV to Douglas Dowland
(douglas-dowland_at_uiowa.edu) by April 11, 2008.
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
more information at
Received on Thu Feb 21 2008 - 23:36:07 EST