full name / name of organization:
Call for Papers
The Association for the Psychoanalysis of Culture and Society
2008 Annual Conference:
Ethics in an Age of Diminishing Distance: The Clash of Difference
October 24-26, 2008
Submissions due by July 1, 2008.
This conference will address the ethical implications of psychoanalysis in
the contemporary world. In an age when technology seems to have diminished
social and physical distances, encounters with the Other take on new forms.
We are seeking proposals that investigate what psychoanalysisâ€”both in its
theoretical and clinical formsâ€”can offer for an understanding of these
encounters. Please think broadly about issues that arise in your
discipline in relation to these questions. Topics might include:
* The effect of contemporary cultural anxieties on forms of subjectivity
* The strain on relations between groups produced by increasing globalization
* How psychoanalytic thinking on group process might alleviate or repair
* How psychoanalytic thinking might inform a view of difference that is not
* How psychoanalytic thinkers and practitioners marginalize themselves; how
might we remediate this marginalization process in our various roles or
* The ethics of form (in media, literature, or art as a response to
* New clinical or theoretical interventions on the relation between the
psyche and the social
* Ways in which educators and researchers add to understanding of
divisiveness and inform interventions
* The relationship between enjoyment and ethics
* Ethical subjectivity relative to the Event
* Responses to dominance of bare life in contemporary politics
* New insights regarding technological mediations of the social offered by
a psychoanalytic approach
* Contemporary investigations into feminism and psychoanalysis
We are particularly interested in roundtables that discuss these issues and
also invite you to think of alternate formats that promote discussion.
Abstracts should be no longer than 250 words.
Please attach a cover sheet that includes your name, primary affiliation,
and contact information.
Abstracts may be sent to: todd.mcgowan_at_uvm.edu
Please see the website for updates: apcs.rutgers.edu
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
more information at
Received on Mon May 19 2008 - 13:45:21 EDT