full name / name of organization:
Text . Landscape . Identity
An Inter-disciplinary Conference for Scholars in the Arts and Humanities
Supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council
September 13th-15th 2007, University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus, Penryn
UPDATE: NEW DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS - 13TH APRIL 2007
In the last twenty years the notion of landscape has undergone significant
theoretical development which has focused attention on discourses,
knowledge, power and questions of representation. Geographers have
reconfigured the relationship between landscape and identity by drawing on a
range of cultural texts. However, their treatment of creative writing has
been incomplete, despite cultural geography’s engagement with literary
Literary Studies, similarly, has engaged with the social or psychological
relations of individual authors to landscapes but not fully understood (a)
the combined influence of landscapes and their literary constructions on the
creative process and (b) the significance of that process as half-conceived
Professor Timothy Fulford, Nottingham Trent University, UK
Professor Donna Landry, University of Kent, UK
Professor Kenneth Olwig, SLU, Sweden
Questions we would seek to discuss include:
· How does a writer respond not just to landscape but to generic conventions
of landscape writing?
· How does the writer’s response to landscape shift through the stages of
· How do landscape, the textual representation of landscape and the process
of representing landscape help shape identity?
· How does a sense of identity inform textual representations of landscape,
· How do we apply literary models of authorship and readership to the
experiences of ‘real’ authors and readers in response to landscape?
· What are the methodological challenges in answering these questions?
· What are the challenges to theories of identity and/or landscape that need
to be addressed?
· How can we combine productively theories of representation and
non-representation to understand more fully the practices and performances
of writing in relation to landscape?
Please send enquiries or abstracts of 300 words by 13th April 2007 to the
Prof. Catherine Brace, Department of Geography, University of Exeter,
Cornwall Campus, Penryn TR10 9EZ; email: cbrace_at_exeter.ac.uk
Dr. Adeline Johns-Putra, Department of English, University of Exeter,
Cornwall Campus, Penryn TR10 9EZ; email: a.g.johns-putra_at_exeter.ac.uk
Other events in this series:
· Writing Landscape – an interdisciplinary symposium. 19th March 2007,
Stewart House, University College London
· Written Landscape – a symposium for writers and scholars. 7th-8th July
2007, University of Exeter, Streatham Campus, Exeter.
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
Full Information at
or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj_at_english.upenn.edu
Received on Wed Apr 04 2007 - 17:24:24 EDT