Leaps of Faith: Mania Meets Modernity SAMLA Atlanta GA Nov. 6-8 2009
This panel will interrogate the upsurge of the new(?) homicidal/suicidal religiosity in the West. Some possible perspectives are literary, sociological, artistic, or historical, and interdisciplinary approaches are always welcome. Some possible ideas, not intended to restrict panelists but rather to spur thinking on a few possible approaches:
- the suicide bomber as Kierkegaardian protagonist
- religious mania as a reaction to/ byproduct of Western modernity
- leaps of technological faith: the new high-tech cargo cults (Heaven's Gate, Raeleans, etc)
- the faith of Abraham vs the faith of Andrea Yates
- when religion comes to power: implications from the Taliban to the Christian Right
Abstracts to be submitted to Stephen Gallagher, email@example.com by 5/31/09.