"Tulsa School" (and NY School) Conference 11/5/2009-11/7/2009
Call for Papers
the "Tulsa School"
November 5-7 2009
at the University of Tulsa
Invited Participants: RON PADGETT, DICK GALLUP,
Alice Notley, Robert Harris, Anselm Berrigan, and Edmund Berrigan
Papers are being solicited on what John Ashbery once nicknamed the "soi-disant Tulsa School," including Ted Berrigan, Ron Padgett, Joe Brainard, and Dick Gallup—who met in Tulsa in the early 1960s and later moved to New York City. Topics may include but are not limited to the following issues:
• New York School art and poetry
• The relation of the Tulsa School to the New York School
• Interplay of visual art and poetry
• Poetics and popular culture
• Role of place (Tulsa, NYC, etc)
• Personal and/as political
• Anthologies and archives
• Readings of individual poems
• Relevant historical contexts
• Gender and the Tulsa School
• Collaboration and Dissemination
• Influence of "L'école de Tulsa"
300-word proposals via email to by
May 15, 2009.
The conference will include keynote addresses, plenary sessions, concurrent panels, an exhibit from TU's Special Collections, a Tulsa School Bus Tour of town, and more.