full name / name of organization:
Nancy Grace & Jennie Skerl
Call For Papers
Transnational/Global Beats: A Collection of Essays
Editors: Jennie Skerl and Nancy Grace
Deadline for abstracts: June 1, 2009
Possible topics include but are not limited to the following:
1. Beat movements in countries other than the United States contemporaneous with the U.S. movement (parallel with or without direct contact);
2. Interactions, collaborations, and mutual influences between American Beat writers and writers in other countries;
3. Writers/groups that were influenced by the Beats and Beat travels to other countries, specifically younger writers in the 1960s influenced by Beat publications, but also later writers/artists as well;
4. Cultural production such as Beat-related coffeehouses, poetry festivals, little magazines, publishers around the world that show the influence, affiliations, collaborations with the American Beats; also the contributions of organizers, publishers, booksellers, etc.;
5. Discussion of Beat critiques of the postwar capitalism from the perspectives of globalization;
6. Beats and Pacific Rim culture and ecopoetics
7. Beats and geographic areas, such a the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Germany, the UK, Paris, India, Japan, China, Canada, and/or Northern Africa; and
8. Beats and race from a transnational perspective.
Please submit a 500-word abstract by June 1, 2009.
Send the abstract to both recipients: NGrace@wooster.edu and JSkerl@wcupa.edu.