full name / name of organization:
Southwest/Texas Popular and American Culture Association
Southwest/Texas Popular & American Culture Association 31st Annual Conference
February 10-13, 2010
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
Albuquerque, NM 87102
The Southwest/Texas Popular Culture and American Culture Association will hold its 31st Annual Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on February 10-13, 2010. Proposals are now being accepted for panels on Reality Television.
Previous years’ presentations have explored the place of reality television in modern culture from many angles:
• the work which is done by reality television in shaping consumer attitudes;
• the ways in which reality television programs are shaped as narratives;
• the now-predictable generic features of reality television programming;
• the psychological, sociological, and philosophical appeal of reality television;
• the ways in which reality television series subvert and/or reinforce cultural, regional, and gender stereotypes;
• the genesis, development (and decline?) of the reality television program;
• and, the application of literary critical approaches to unpack reality television programs.
As always, papers on any facet of reality television are welcome.
Abstracts of 150-250 words may be submitted to Dr. James Bell (email@example.com) by December 15, 2009. Please include a working title and a brief biography of 100 words with your submission. Email submissions are preferred. The priority registration deadline for the conference is November 1, 2009.
Registration and conference information is available at http://swtxpca.org/.
Area Chair Contact Information:
Dr. James Bell
Associate Professor of English, College of the Ozarks
PO Box 17
Point Lookout, Missouri 65726