American Indian/Indigenous FIlm
Call for Papers: American Indian/Indigenous Film Area
Southwest/Texas Popular & American Culture Associations 31th Annual Conference, Albuquerque, NM
February 10-13, 2010
The 2010 WS/TX PCA/ACA Conference will be held in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the Hyatt Regency downtown (see hotel information below)
The American Indian/Indigenous Film Area is looking for panels, papers, screenings of Indigenous films + discussion, and workshops on topics related to American Indian, First Nations, and Indigenous film. We welcome proposals from all disciplines that examine, utilize, promote, or teach Native/Indigenous film and media are welcome. The American Indian/Indigenous Film Area is particularly interested in bringing together Native filmmakers and Native/non-Native academics to talk about the burgeoning field of Indigenous Film.
Some topics might include, but are not limited to:
· Native women filmmakers
· American Indian/Indigenous Film and/or filmmakers
· New Voices in Native/Indigenous film and media
· Needs, Access, and Issues in Native/Indigenous film
· The outcomes/consequences of using Native films across cultural boundaries and in comparison to other cultural approaches.
· Teaching American Indian or Indigenous films as part of a non‑American Indian Studies course, such as Humanities, American Studies, or English.
· Disciplinary and cultural politics as they influence how we read Native film
· American Indians in Hollywood film
· Approaches to teaching American Indian film
· Indian and the Western (this could also apply to how Indigenous people globally are positioned as "Indians" in national "Western" genres)
· Effects/impacts of Native representations in film/media on Native and non-Native culture
· Showcasing new work (if you would like to facilitate a panel that screens new work, please do so). We will need to know in advance what film you wish to have screened, its length, etc. so that we can schedule a screening time followed by a discussion period.
If you have specific ideas for topics, workshops, or panels that are not listed here, please submit those as well.
Native filmmakers, scholars, teachers, students, professionals, and others are encouraged to participate. Graduate students may wish to submit papers for fellowships and awards.
Further information regarding the conference (listing of all areas, hotel, registration, tours, etc) can be found at http://swtxpca.org/documents/130.html. Register early for a discount rate and to reserve space at the conference hotel—rooms fill quickly.
Date and Place: February 24-28, 2009
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Please pass along this call to friends and colleagues.
31st Annual Conference February 10-13, 2010
Southwest/Texas Popular and American Culture Association
Deadlines: Priority Submission and Registration: November 1, 2009
Final deadline for Proposals and Panels: December 15, 2008
Final Conference Registration: December 31, 2008 (All participants must be registered by this date).
Please send 100-200 word abstracts to:
M. Elise Marubbio,
Associate Professor & Director Augsburg Native American Film Series
Area Chair, American Indian/Indigenous Film SW/TX PCA/ACA
2211 Riverside Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55454