Boundaries and Bridges: English Studies in the Borderlands -- March 19 & 20 San Juan, Puerto Rico
Call for Papers
The 2010 Annual Conference of the Caribbean Chapter of the College English Association will be held on Friday, March 19 and Saturday, March 20 at the University of Puerto Rico at Rio Piedras in San Juan
Boundaries and Bridges: English Studies in the Borderlands
The Mission Statement of the College English Association (CEA) informs members that the organization acts as an umbrella under which a broad range of interests gather together, including: literature, language, linguistics, composition, creative writing, women's and minority studies, journalism, technical communication, speech, American studies, English as a Second Language, and popular culture, among others. In light of this mission statement that embraces multiple disciplines, the Caribbean Chapter of the CEA—situated in a unique location that synthesizes the Caribbean islands and their varied cultures with North and Latin American, European, African, and indigenous traditions—invites papers for its annual conference that explore meeting places between the disciplines of English Studies, interdisciplinary studies in the field of English, and the borderlands of space and place as explored through the disciplines that comprise English Studies.
Proposals are welcome on, but not limited to, the following topics:
• Caribbean Studies;
• Postcolonial and/or Colonial Studies;
• Texts that exist in or explore Borderlands or Contact Zones (please note that we welcome diverse definitions of the term "texts");
• Bilingual and/or bicultural texts;
• Cultural Geography Studies;
• Transnational, Transatlantic, and/or Transpacific Studies;
• Interdisciplinary texts such as graphic novels, films, and blogs;
• Interdisciplinary studies of canonical texts;
• Interdisciplinary pedagogies in English Studies classrooms;
• Creoles, Pidgins, and languages that build upon different linguistic heritages;
• New Media and new technologies in the English classroom; and
• The field of English at the crossroads.
Submit 250 word abstracts outlining your 15 minute proposed presentation by November 13, 2009 to the Conference Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please visit the CEA-CC's Blog (http://blogs.uprm.edu/ceacc/).
NB: If you are submitting a panel proposal, you only need to submit one abstract that includes all presenters' names and contact information.
All accepted presenters are required to become members of the Caribbean Chapter of the College English Association. Conference registration is included in the membership fee.
Please disseminate this Call for Papers to other interested parties.
The Annual Conference of the Caribbean Chapter of the College English Association is generously supported by the University of Puerto Rico and its individual campuses.