"Music and the Written Word" January 16-17, 2010, Deadline Oct. 9
The UCSB Center for the Interdisciplinary Study of Music (CISM) is seeking submissions for the 2010 Music and the Written Word Graduate Conference to be held at the University of California, Santa Barbara, on 16-17 January 2010. Run by and geared towards graduate students, this interdisciplinary conference will focus on music, the written word, and their convergence. We welcome submissions covering the full spectrum of methodologies, disciplinary approaches, and all genres of music.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
* Relationship between music and text
* Text setting
* Musical criticism
* Representations of music in literature and poetry
* Notation and transcription
* Music inspired by literature or poetry
* Music in print media
* Musical poetics
* Music as language/language as music
* Rhetoric and musical practice
* Musical analogy
* Music and grammar
* Music and worship/liturgy
* Language in performance practice
* Concrete words, "ineffable" music
* Music and political speech
* Music and code (C Sound, etc.)
Please send a 200-300-word abstract of your paper to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 9 October 2010. Include the abstract as both a file attachment and in the email text. Paper presentations will be allotted twenty minutes, with ten additional minutes for questions and answers.
Details regarding the keynote address are forthcoming.