UPDATE: CFP Albuquerque and Ecocriticism
The 31th Annual Meeting of the SW/TX Popular Culture Assoc./ACA
February 10-13, 2010
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Conference Website: www.swtxpca.org
Graduate Student Awards The SWPCA offers numerous graduate student awards and the Rollins Book Award prize for our authors. Graduate students are encouraged to submit too these awards.
Train Trip All aboard to Santa Fe Sign up is limited and will be available on a first come, first serve basis. See the Web page under Local Activities (also a new feature with restaurants and activities):
Keynote for this year will be Adilifu Nama, author of Black Space: Imagining Race in Science Fiction Film (U of Texas P, 2008) and Winner of the Peter C. Rollins Book Award for 2009.
Panels are now being formed for presentations regarding Literature, Ecocriticism and the Environment. Specific areas might include:
*ecocritical approaches to literature
* environmentally-focused artists and their art
* representations of nature and the environment in popular and American culture
* interdisciplinary approaches to the environment by environmental historians, philosophers, geographers, ecologists, governmental agencies, etc.
* environmental/ecocritical pedagogy & environmental education
* environmental discourse in the media
* the environment in film
* environmental issues in the Southwest
* urban environmentalism
* nature writing and its authors
* environmental activism, non-profit, governmental issues, etc.
SW/TX PCA has a rich history of intellectual pursuit with a friendly spirit. Professional academics, as well as graduate students (and special undergraduates) and other professionals are welcome to submit papers. Individual presentations should be 15-20 minutes in length.
Send detailed abstract or paper electronically with your email address, affiliation and a short bio. Early submissions and registration encouraged (please see conference website for details regarding accommodations and other relevant matters. Deadline for submissions is December 15, 2009. In the subject line please type: "SW/TX PCA Submission" – send to:
Dr. Ken Hada, Area Chair
Literature, Ecocriticism and the Environment
Department of English & Languages
East Central University
1100 E. 14th St.
Ada, OK 74820