[Update] Under Western Skies: Climate, Culture and Change in Western North America
Extended Call for Papers and Added Keynote Speaker
MAUDE BARLOW, ANDREW NIKIFORUK, RICHARD WHITE, VANDANA SHIVA, LEO JACOBS, MARY SIMON
October 13-16, 2010, Mount Royal University Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
The call for papers has been extended to March 1, 2010. We are especially interested in additional proposals related to environmental issues in Mexico or from private sector/corporate stakeholders, but we continue to welcome any and all proposals that speak to the call.
Call For Papers
This interdisciplinary and cross-cultural gathering welcomes presentations on the environmental challenges now faced by diverse populations, both human and nonhuman, in the Western lands of Canada, the United States, and Mexico.
Academics and other stakeholders from the wider community are invited to participate in this urgent and compelling dialogue. The conference invites academics from the humanities, social and natural sciences, as well as activists, businesses, artists and others to speak across the boundaries that conventionally divide them.
Since both the geographical and critical terrains at issue are considerable, a wide array of topics and time periods is welcome. The shared concern will be the interaction between humans and the natural environment in the context of Western history, geography, climate change, and commercial/sustainable development of lands and resources.
Possible directions may include, but are not restricted to, the following:
* sustainable economic development
* indigenous ways of knowing
* urbanization/suburban sprawl in the "New West"
* popular culture and the mass media
* literary or filmic representations of natural, urban or
* government action/inaction on the environment
* environmental racism and justice
* ecological or ecocritical examinations of particular
Western environs and climes
* specific issues such as the Cophenhagen Summit, Kyoto
Protocol, or oil/tar sands development
* the borderlands of Canada / United States / Mexico
* environmental education in K-12, postsecondary and
* historical perspectives
* environmental activism
* environmental law and policy
New Deadline for Submissions: MARCH 1, 2010