[UPDATE] Victorians Institute: "By the Numbers," University of Virginia, Oct 1-3, 2010
THE 2010 VICTORIANS INSTITUTE CONFERENCE
BY THE NUMBERS
October 1-3, 2010
University of Virginia
New submission deadline: April 15, 2010
Conference website: http://www.nines.org/VIC2010
Co-sponsored by The University of Virginia English Department, Rare Books School, and NINES.
Keynote lecturer: Daniel Cohen, George Mason University; author of Equations from God: Pure Mathematics and Victorian Faith, 2007; and director of the Center for History and New Media.
Other confirmed speakers:
Jimena Canales, Harvard University (author of A Tenth of a Second: A History)
Marilyn Gaull, Boston University (editor of The Wordsworth Circle)
Alice Jenkins, University of Glasgow (author of Space and the 'March of Mind')
Ellen Rosenman, University of Kentucky (editor of Victorians Institute Journal)
UVA organizing committee: Steve Arata, Alison Booth, Karen Chase, Jerome McGann, Andrew Stauffer, and Herbert Tucker; with assistance from Bethany Nowviskie and Michael F. Suarez, S.J.
This conference has received generous funding support from the Page-Barbour Lecture Endowment at University of Virginia. As a result, we may in a position to provide stipends to offset expenses for selected graduate students and junior scholars. Other plans include the following:
1. a special roundtable with journal editors on the future of scholarly journals in a digital age
2. a special roundtable with university press editors on the monograph and the crisis in scholarly publishing
3. a visit to UVA's Rare Book School for seminars on C19 materials
4. lunch and coffee breaks provided gratis during the conference
5. a gala Friday evening reception and a wine reception on Saturday evening
6. open house in the Scholars' Lab, showcasing digital C19 projects
PLEASE SUBMIT 1-2 PAGE PROPOSALS to Victorians.Institute@gmail.com by APRIL 15, 2010.