CFP - A Century of British Stage Comedy 1910 - 2010
A Century of British Stage Comedy:1910 – 2010
To be hosted by the Department of Drama and Music at the University of Hull on November 6th 2010, 'A Century of British Stage Comedy' will explore the various ways that stage comedy has developed in terms of both performance and text in the last 100 years. Presenters working in the fields of theatre, performance, literature and associated disciplines are invited to present a twenty minute paper dealing with some aspect of theatrical comedy: its performance, sub-genres and textual techniques.
Intellect have expressed interest in publishing the conference proceedings in the form of an edited book.
Suggestions for topics include, but are not limited to:
* Specific Playwrights (for example Coward, Stoppard, Ayckbourn)
* Sub-genres (Comedy of Manners, Satire, farce, political comedy, physical comedy)
* The challenges of performing or directing comedy
* Production history of particular plays
* Comedy's ability to deal with serious issues
* Connections between comedy and social context
* The social function of comic theatre
An Abstract of no more than 250 words along with a brief mini-biography should be sent to Louise Peacock no later than Friday 10th September. Submissions or queries should be emailed to email@example.com.