MOTORCYCLE LIFE AND CULTURE April 20-23, 2011 SW/TX ACA/PCA Annual Conference
Call For Papers:
MOTORCYCLE LIFE AND CULTURE
Annual Meeting of the Popular Culture and American Culture Associations, Southwest/Texas Region (Joint Conference with National PCA/ACA)
San Antonio, TX, April 20-23, 2011
The SW/TX Popular Culture and American Culture Associations are inviting papers on motorcycling and its impact on American society, other societies and cultures.
Suggested topics include:
* Riders' narratives or descriptions of the ride
* The motorcycle as art, poetry, or agency
* Rituals, norms, customs, or influences in motorcycle culture
* The biker as subaltern or as "other"
* Movies, films, or other images of motorcyclists
* Analyses of media, consumer capitalist, corporate, or other
power structures in relation to motorcycling culture or popular myth
* Biographical analyses of noteworthy motorcyclists and their
influence upon myth, culture, or cultural capital
* Racial, ethnic, gendered, class, or demographic aspects
of motorcycling culture
* Other literary, anthropological, geographical, historical,
sociological, or psychological perspectives of motorcycling culture
Please respond to the Area chair listed below with a biographical statement and an abstract of 150 words by December 15, 2010. Graduate student submissions are welcome. Since responders may be assigned to presentations, completed papers should also be sent to the Chair for review, not later than January 15, 2011.
Basic information about the conference can be found at: