Reality Television Division - CFP - SW/TX PCA/ACA Conference 2011
Southwest/Texas Popular & American Culture Association
32nd Annual Conference
April 20-23, 2011 • San Antonio, TX
San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter
101 Bowie Street
San Antonio, TX 78205
The Southwest/Texas Popular Culture and American Culture Association will hold its 32nd Annual Conference in San Antonio, Texas, on April 20-23, 2011. Proposals are now being accepted for panels on Reality Television.
Previous years' presentations have explored the place of reality television in modern culture from many angles:
· the work which is done by reality television in shaping consumer attitudes;
· the ways in which reality television programs are shaped as narratives;
· the now-predictable generic features of reality television programming;
· the psychological, sociological, and philosophical appeal of reality television;
· the ways in which reality television series subvert and/or reinforce cultural, regional, and gender stereotypes;
· the genesis, development (and decline?) of the reality television program;
· the study of transnational reality tv brands and the political economy of reality tv;
· the application of literary critical, cultural studies, film/media studies, mass communication studies, and/or interdisciplinary approaches to unpack reality television programs.
As always, papers on any facet of reality television are welcome.
Abstracts of 150-250 words may be submitted to Brad Houston Lane (firstname.lastname@example.org) by December 15, 2010. Please include a working title and a brief biography of 100 words with your submission. Email submissions are preferred. Registration and conference information is available at http://swtxpca.org/.
Area Chair Contact Information:
Brad Houston Lane
Core Faculty, Arts & Humanities,
Seattle Community College District
9600 College Way North
Seattle, WA 98103