Dreams Not Only American. Science Fiction's Transatlantic Transactions - July 7-10, 2011
Dreams Not Only American – Science Fiction's Transatlantic Transactions
July 7-10, 2011
Science fiction has become a truly global phenomenon, encompassing national and international exchanges and intersections. Despite its incredible variety, however, science fiction (SF) first emerged as a discrete literary practice in the United States and several European countries. Bearing in mind these origins and the fact that this is only the second SFRA conference to be held outside North America, it seems only natural that the organization's 2011 meeting should focus on all modes and aspects of SF transactions between Europe and America(s).
We invite paper and panel proposals that focus on all forms of science fiction and that address (but are not limited to) the following aspects:
- roots – the circumstances of independent emergence of SF in Europe and America
- history and politics of Euro-American SF transactions
- identity discourses and constructions – does "science fiction" mean the same in the U.S., Great Britain, France, Spain, Germany or Russia?
- exchanges – how have European and American science fictions influenced and inspired each other?
- differences – are science fictions written in America and in Europe different thematically or formally? how?
- national "schools" in Europe and America – their characteristics, peculiarities and exchanges; is Western European SF similar to that from Central and Eastern Europe? How is Canadian SF different from the texts produced in the U.S.?
Papers and panels on all other topics pertinent to SFRA's scope of interests are also welcome.
Keynote speakers: Darko Suvin and Roger Luckhurst
Conference venue: Maria Curie-Sklodowska University, Lublin, Poland
Organizer and program chair: Pawel Frelik (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deadline for abstracts and proposals: 15 April 2011.
All abstracts and proposals will be considered on a rolling basis.
All relevant information is available online at http://sfra2011.pl.