BORDERS (23-24 May 2011) - Ege University - İzmir / TURKEY
Stop! Take a breath and hear our call!
This is your opportunity to cross your BORDERS and expand your horizon. The 2nd International Undergraduate Symposium will give you a chance to brighten your vision and those of others by projecting your thoughts on borders with your presentation. The symposium is also your opportunity to develop both social and communication skills, as well as broadening your perspective by enabling you to see beyond presupposed definitions of what borders are.
To give you an idea what your presentation could be about we took the liberty of listing a few possible topics;
• Borders and border-crossing in literature, arts, media, society, politics, religion, history, etc.
• Censorship in literature, politics, cinema, society, etc.
• Forms of deconstructing the norm
• Relationship between peripheral zones and the centre
• The free zones of the individual
• Underground cultures and the idea of 'descent'
• Limits of freedom and thought
• Necessity of discipline
• Measure of discipline conducted to conditions
• Borders in our minds
• Borders and the body
• Borders attributed to gender, history, geography etc.
To cross or not to cross, that is the question!
Whether it is right to stay within the border, or challenge it,
Or to be within the space between borders.
The symposium, organized by the undergraduate students of Departments of English Language and Literature and American Culture and Literature, will be held on 23-24 May 2011 at the Faculty of Letters, Ege University, İzmir. You are, of course, free to present anything within the topic of "Borders". So dare take a step and exceed your limits.
All it takes is submitting a 250 word abstract and a short bio to email@example.com by 20 March 2011. Abstracts will be reviewed by the academic screening committee, and we'll let you know the results on 25 March 2011.
Please remember that the selected papers should not exceed 15 minutes.
Come to IUS and share your ideas!
Conference website will be available shortly at: www.ius.ege.edu.tr