Disaster response, victimhood, and agency - CCCCs panel proposal
I'm looking to form (or join) a panel proposal on disaster response and victimhood for CCCC 2012 in St. Louis.
The conference theme is "Writing Gateways" with additional emphasis on "transitions" and "access" (see http://www.ncte.org/library/NCTEFiles/Groups/CCCC/Convention/2012/4C_Cal...).
For this panel proposal I'm particularly interested in risk communication and/or the rhetoric(s) of victimhood and "disaster" response/compensation, broadly conceived across contexts either ecological, military, economic, legal, medical, or possibly others.
Though open to various contexts and methodologies, connective threads may include:
* The discursive transition from victimhood to agency
* Gateways and gatekeepers in disaster response(s)
* The transition from risk communication to victim compensation
* Digital/traditional literacies and access in disaster response
* Public/private contact zones in disaster contexts
If you're looking to form or join a panel related to these topics, please e-mail me by May 1, 2011.
The University of Texas at El Paso